Rump: the true story of Rumpelstiltskin
1. Upon encountering Rump, why did Red ask if he was made of gold?
a. A swarm of bees was hovering over his head.
b. He had a very unusual smell about him.
c. The air around him became blurry and seemed to shift.
d. Pixies had landed on him and bitten him.
2. For what did Rump trade the first three skeins of gold?
a. A warm coat and hat to wear in the mines.
b. Bales of straw for spinning into more gold.
c. Three chickens and a rooster to replace the butchered ones.
d. Food for Gran, who had become very ill.
3. After the miller lied to King Barf, Rump decided to ___.
a. teach Opal how to spin gold.
b. consult The Witch of the Woods.
c. expose the miller’s lie to force his hand.
d. sneak into Opal’s room and help her escape to The Woods.
4. Why did Rump go to The Kingdom despite Red’s disapproval?
a. to rescue Opal.
b. to look for a job.
c. to prove his courage.
d. to complain about Oswald the miller.
5. What good came of Rump’s fall from the tower?
a. It confirmed his decision to never set eyes on Opal again.
b. Opal was forced to confess her ruse regarding her spinning.
c. The broken leg he suffered kept him out of the dungeon.
d. Martha, a king’s cook, took him in and fed him.
6. While waiting to be eaten by the trolls, Rump learned that they ---.
a. became deathly ill when human flesh touched their lips.
b. planned to use him as a bargaining chip with the pixies.
c. had made themselves out to be human-eating villains to be left alone.
d. would suffer years of bad luck if they harmed a single hair on his head.
7. What did Rump learn about the term “rumple” from one of his aunts?
a. It meant to be wrapped or trapped in magic.
b. It kept the gold-humgry pixies at bay.
c. It conjured the magic that turned the straw to gold.
d. It was the expression Anna often used when frustrated.
8. Why did Rumpel decide to leave his aunts?
a. A message from Red made him fear for his aunts’ safety.
b. He needed to return to the palace to claim his promised child.
c. The stiltskin he sought was located in The Kingdom.
d. Hadel had declared that he must leave, or she would.
9. Rumpel agreed to spin for Oswald in exchange for ---.
a. enough food rations to never be hungry.
b. a nanny to take care of baby Archie.
c. sumptuous quarters in the castle.
d. the release of Red unharmed.
10. What happened after Opal guessed Rumpel’s name?
a. Red threw her arms around him and kissed him.
b. The miller flew into a terrible rage and dropped dead.
c. He riled up the pixies and stomped through the floorboards.
d. The spinning wheel turned to dust.
Answer Key for Rump: the True Story of Rumpelstiltskin: